Sunday, October 28, 2007

Doctor Who

Back in September, I mentioned that I'd been tipped off to some Doctor Who episodes that were on YouTube. It seems that the BBC pulled the plug on that so they've been taken down. Can't say that I blame them, because there is an obvious market for the classic episodes and they could potentially lose some money there. Anyway the videos wet my appetite for more of the old show. Luckily, I've got my own stash.
Back in the '80's, when my brother and I got hooked on the show, I started taping them. A full story was (usually) 90 minutes long so if you used the extra long play option you could fit four of them on a tape. I've lugged them around with me for years but didn't have any real hope that the quality would be high enough to watch. The tapes are more than twenty years old after all (how did that happen?!?).
Well...it turns out that they survived surprisingly well. There are some tapes missing and some shows that I must have missed in there but I've got most of the fourth Doctor and all but one of the fifth. This has been my consolation for being pinned to the couch by Relia. The whole thing (recording and now watching) is the easily the second dorkiest thing I've ever done.
How do they look? The acting and writing is Masterpiece Theater quality (with many of the same actors) while the sets look a touch better than a high school play. The production quality picks up a bit when the fifth Doctor comes in. Some of it's camp and some if it is quite clever. It's all fun.
The good Doctor is still around as the series continued in 2005 (can be seen on the Sci-Fi channel and BBC America). I also found this great spoof. (The bit about the tin-foil makes the whole thing.)

3 comments:

Alfred T. Mahan said...

One of the best parodies of the Doctor ever done was Rowan Atkinson's "Doctor Who And The Curse Of Fatal Death". Hilarious.

Hans said...

There's a Dr Who joke in the Family Guy Star Wars spoof "Blue Horizon". When they go into hyperspace after escaping from Tatooine, Peter (Han Solo) comments on how hyperspace is a weird place and then they see the fourth Doctor in the windshield and hear the Dr Who theme music. Funny.

Peder said...

Andrew, I've heard about that parody but haven't seen it.