Friday, October 26, 2007

Shoot 'em if you got 'em

Today was a visit to the doctor. For me this time. After putting this off for...oh...five years or so, I had a check up. Having an actual real live child kind of puts some things in perspective, too.
The high points:
  • That thing on my leg? Not leprosy and no, amputation isn't the answer. Probably eczema and there are things to do for it.
  • Blood pressure is good. Pulse was fine. Both hearts sound fine.
  • No, they couldn't find anything wrong that would justify two weeks in a tropical location. He promised to consult his books and see if he could prepare anything for the next time. On a related note, there is no such thing as 'bikini-deficiency'.
  • They took a blood sample so they can check my cholesterol. The lab assistant said that she'd try to make me pass out so I'd miss work but she didn't follow through. There is such a thing as taking the Hippocratic oath too seriously.
  • On the other hand, the exact combination of not eating for twelve hours before a check up, getting flu and tetanus shots and having blood drawn did some kind of number on me. A quick sick call to work and a four hour nap later and I felt much better. Probably nothing more than the power of suggestion.
  • I feel better for having gone.

1 comment:

carrster said...

Oddly enough both tetanus shots I've had in my life have made me faint. Weird. Not because of the needle....but about 5-10 minutes afterwards! Happened in high school 10th grade (Mr. Bishop's TV Communications class) and again when I went a few years ago for a complete physical. Weird.

Glad you got a check up! You have to stay healthy for your little one and your wife now!! :) (and yourself, of course) I hope they discover a "bikini deficiency" syndrome too. I would love tropical right now!