Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Inconvenient Truths

Normally, I keep the political stuff over here but since I reviewed 'An Inconvenient Truth' here back in May, I thought I'd post this here. Let's just say I had some problems with it. Everytime I hear about it being shown in classrooms, it makes me grumpy. Even if the science in it was rock solid, there are still long stretches of the movie that are shot like a campaign video. Putting a viable politician in front of schoolchildren in a movie that portrays him as a savior is just wrong.
Having said that, it didn't hurt my feelings (or sense of objectivity) to hear that a judge in Britain has ruled that the movie can only be shown with a warning label. He's identified nine errors in the film (list here). There is a very real and honest debate to be had about warming but it's not one that Gore's interested in. That's a shame.

1 comment:

Meigan said...

Very interesting! Someone on my team set up an office viewing of the film for next Tuesday. I supported her decision because we are being inundated with requests for "green" products. It's our job to know what consumers are thinking & I know this film has influenced buying behaviors to some extent.

That said, I also have data that shows what people really think about how they spend their $$ on household cleaners & such & to say I'm going into this film very skeptical is an understatement. I'll letcha know what I think!