Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Previews

Now that we're all parenty and may never get to see movies in the theater again, I may have to stick to reviewing films by their previews. There are a couple of movies that have caught my eye of late.
Elizabeth: The Golden Age - I've wanted a movie that deals with the Attack of the Spanish Armada for some time now and this one is it. The downside? It's directed by the same guy who did 'Elizabeth' (reviewed here). What did I say then?
This movie is gratuitously violent. Almost in a Bruckheimer sense. It also suffers a serious pacing issue. The movie sets the stage of conflicting intrests, French/Spanish, Catholic/Protestant and even Love/Politics. At each end we wonder what the resolution will be and how it'll turn out. And then Elizabeth tells her advisor to do what he must. What follows is Geoffery Rush killing everybody. This is the movie equivalent of Staples Easy Button. And it feels like a cheat.
Well, let's hope they get this one right.
Across the Universe - This looks like a love story that follows the same musical technique as 'Moulin Rouge' but with all Beatles music. (Althouse reviews it here. Kind of.) I love the idea of this. Hope the follow through is good.
The Darjeeling Limited - A Wes Anderson film, and that's enough to make me want to see it right there. Trailer here. It's about three warring brothers who make a go at reconciliation during a train ride in India.
The Seeker - Boy, do I have low expectations for this movie. It's based on a very good book though, The Dark is Rising. It's about a 14 year old boy who receives a gift and discovers that he is in the middle of an eternal struggle between Light and Dark. The book had a certain Old World charm to it. The movie looks like it's been modernized.

2 comments:

Meigan said...

Are you a Charles Baxter fan? His first "movie made from book" is out - "Feast of Love". Like you guys, we won't get out to see it (it's only in 3 theaters in the cities) so I'll wait for the rental. I can't imagine making one of his books into a movie - should be interesting.

Peder said...

I don't know Charles Baxter. I'll keep an eye out for Feast of Love.