Thursday, October 25, 2007

Stay at home dad

At least today. Maybe I should back up. Yesterday morning was the first time that I had to get poor Relia ready for day-care without the FP Gal around to help out. I got her up and changed without any problem. She was quiet enough for me to have some cereal and take care of morning stuff. Then it started to be time to go. I hate being late (something that having a baby around will certainly test). I also hate forgetting to bring something that I should have. So I strapped her into her car seat and looked around to see what I needed to bring. Consulted my list from Monday. I'd forgotten an extra outfit! Ran upstairs and got one. Got the milk. The only thing I needed was something to cover her with for the ride over. Was that a blanket? Could be a dishtowel. Well...it'll work as a blanket, right? (It was a dishtowel.) Got her there in time and with everything she needed. Too much in fact. Oh well, I'm new at this.
So back to today. Got her up and changed and even started some laundry. And then the fussiness started. One of those days where she couldn't be left alone for even a minute. Wailed if her pacifier got out and couldn't keep it in on her own. The only thing that calmed her down was sleeping on my chest while I watched TV. The only problem was that I didn't want to spend all day on the couch! I couldn't even reach the bon-bons.
The FP Gal ran into the same problem later in the day and I'm told that even with her parents (so far a golden touch) she was fussy. Just one of those days. Or maybe gas.
Next time we have a day like this we're going to try a car ride.

4 comments:

MamaD4 said...

Whattttt? You didn't want to spend all day on the couch? Hans will be very disappointed in you Peder! Have you learned nothing from your guru/brother?

On another note, I should say enjoy your time on the couch because soon enough, Aurelia will be up and getting into everything and you will never, NEVER have a moment's peace. Except after she goes to bed.

Peder said...

Hmmm, does St Joseph's make a tranquilizer gun?

DD4 said...

Both you and mamad4 are hilarious. I love hearing how things are going-- makes me think of "the olden days" when you were young.

MamaD4 said...

Sadly, St. Joseph's does not make a tranquilizer. I do have a friend (or rather, an aquaintance) who regularly doses her son with Dimetapp so he "naps".

These sorts of things can backfire on a parent, too, because some kids go haywire crazy on stuff that would put other kids (and horses) to sleep.