Sunday, October 24, 2010

Flying with a Toddler

The most challenging part of our trip, or at least the one I was most afraid of, was taking Relia on the planes. And when I say 'planes', please focus on the plural form as we had connections each way. Yep, we had to get out of one plane, cross an airport and get in a different one. With all of the potential problems that entails.
So how did it go? (Let's break out the bullet points!)
  • Relia wasn't scared by at all by the flights. Which probably makes sense as the motion isn't that much different than a car. Except for the thrusting and taking off part. (That's only similar to Hans's car.)
  • No motion sickness. We've been lucky here as she really doesn't seem that prone to it.
  • We used the kit the FP Gal made to lug the car seat through the airports. It worked very well. I understand that future models will feature beefed up D-rings. Our luggage content was six items (three suitcases, two backpacks and the car seat) so being able to strap some of them together and simply pull was mucho helpful.
  • Not sure how I could have done the airports without Dad's help. Yes, I would have just bulled my way through it somehow but, holy cats, it would have been pure hell. To all those who have taken multiple children, alone and through international circumstances, you have my utmost respect.
  • Snacks? Yes. Also water and sips from my tomato juice.
  • My second biggest fear was strapping the darn car seat into the airplane. This wasn't all that hard but getting it out of the seat in Norfolk was a nightmare. It took several minutes of straining before I could get my arm in the right position to undo the buckle. They almost left as on the tarmac.
  • Hardest connection? Philadelphia. It was crowded and we had to take a bus to switch terminals. So we had to herd six bits of luggage and an unhappy toddler through a bus with no seats. Gah.
  • Only one meltdown from her and it was during takeoff on the last flight. Too little sleep from her and she didn't want to be strapped in for even one more minute. It pretty much sucked.
  • But she was happy to be home. She is now a veteran flyer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Norfolk. OH FUN....well Va Beach fun! I used to live there....hope you visited the Jewish Mother restaurant if it is still around. YUMMY omelets. And we LOVED chicks beach vs the beach down at the ocean. Less tourists in the summer.

Can't wait to hear more. I have been wanting to get back.

Kate said...

One meltdown? Amen. You did it.

Alfred T. Mahan said...

I applaud you and Sarah, Peder...I really do. Esepcially getting through *Philly* without having a meltdown. When I visited there in '95, I seem to recall it being a good scene for divine punishment, but maybe that's me.

Also, to be fair, I would think that plane rides also involve fewer traffic tickets and smoother turns than when driving with Hans.