Monday, August 22, 2011

Learning from Kids

The past month or so has brought about big development with both kids and I should probably mark that down. Relia already has a big vocabulary but something has changed in the way she plays around with language and the way she understands things. She's asking bigger questions and you can see her mentally work things out. She still comes up with gems like this today:

Relia: We learned about birds that can swim. Like ducks. And swans.
Me: When I think of swimming birds I think of penguins.
Relia: But they can't fly!
Me: True. What other birds can't fly?
Relia: Um, really big birds.
Me: Like what.
Relia: Like . . . a giant sparrow.

She also told me that a 'bold' eagle ('with white on the head') is our state bird. I said that it is actually our country's bird but I don't think she believed me.

Meanwhile DF is just starting to really hit the language barrier. He can say about a dozen different things, most recently 'get down'. (Which he hears constantly. This boy is a climber! I'm always taking him down from chairs and whatnot that he has climbed onto.) The neat thing is that he understands a much larger group of words. Including names of the immediate family and some portion of the extended one. He knows the cats and back yard and so forth. His favorite is probably 'shoes' because he lights up and runs to get his little sandals.
We thought that he might hold off on the verbal stuff since Relia is such a chatterbox but that hasn't been the case. I greatly look forward to having actual talks with him and finding out what he thinks about stuff. I'm sure it will be special.

2 comments:

Micah said...

You'll have to take the kids to the Eagle Center in Wabasha. It's a very fun stop, and Relia can pet a "bold" eagle. If you go in February there'll be hundreds of eagles on the river hunting (or so I've been told--we went in the summer and still loved it).

Peder said...

Micah that's a great idea. May have to do that sometime soon!