Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Names Post

I mentioned that with our final kid on the way it seems like there is more pressure on getting the name right than before. (Actually, this is probably just me. I don't know that the FP Gal is feeling this pressure at all.) We are very happy with the names that we've already picked and want to keep that up. So we're knocking names back and forth. Some of the rules that I'm following, first the big ones:
  • I don't want any Biblical names. Nothing against them, especially since we both have them but I want to go a different way. [Note: I'd make a possible exception for Samson. Maybe]
  • No names that are a profession. So Mason, Hunter, Taylor and so on are out. Again, these can be perfectly fine names but not what I'm looking for.
  • It should be something that is an actual name. Not some kind of made up sound or an acronym or something like that. Also not some word that is simply spelled backwards.
  • If we're targeting a certain nickname then we go with the full one. If you want a Bob you should start with Robert. Gives the child some options as they get older.
And the smaller rules:
  • We like uncommon names, something with a little strike in it. But not too much. ("Agamemnon!" "Way too special!")
  • Both of our first two have common Roman names. We don't have to follow this but it would kind of work better if we did. Not crucial but something to pay attention to.
  • Nothing that is too fashionable right now. Isabella is a wonderful name but the 'Twilight' books have killed it for now.
Guidelines:
  • Both kids have easily translated meanings to their names (Golden and Lucky). I'd love to be able to keep that up for number three.
  • Strong names for boys and beautiful names for girls. If that makes me sexist, then so be it. (Actually, a strong name for a girl can work too so maybe this doesn't mean that much.)
  • Gods, goddesses, fates, furies and muses are all fair game.
  • If not Roman, than possibly French as it would go very well with the last name.
The FP Gal is on board with about half of these, she can clarify which half.

9 comments:

Sarita said...

I like lots of biblical names.
Nothing too common (I love my name, but there were too many Sarahs in the late 70s)
I'm okay with the simple translation idea.
If we're targeting a certain shortened form of the name, then that is what we should name them.
No names that end in the long e sound for a girl.

Meigan said...

How about Camilla? It means "child who helps during sacrifices". Fun.

Sarita said...

We could probably use one of those now that we'll have 3.

Alfred T. Mahan said...

Oh, this is a bad path to take with me, Peder...

:]

WV: ingsisc, which sounds like something straight out of 1984.

Peder said...

Woah, Andrew, explain please.

Kate said...

Aikaterine. My name. Of course. Pure. That's what it means. But that is the Greek version that I am fond of. Of course, only if it's a girl. But Aurelia is already the girl after my own heart.

Sarita said...

FP asked me when I think of Camilla, do I think of Parker-Bowles, or well, some other Camilla that I'd never heard of.

My answer: Gonzo's chicken.

Oddly enough, my current word verification is "nolip". How appropriate.

Micah said...

What about Lavinia? She's minor in the Aeneid as Aeneas' destined second bride. And, she has a footnote in the Inferno. Moreover, there's an Ursula K. LeGuin book on my shelf waiting to be read of the same name, where she fleshes her out quite a bit more.

Meigan said...

LOL Sar - I totally forgot about Gonzo's chicken!!! Which is even more the reason to go with Camilla!

(and the nolip thing just put me over the edge - hilarious)