Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Warp Drive?

An interesting post (well, interesting to me) about the possibility of a warp drive propulsion system for star ships.  Now, I'm not anywhere schooled enough in the sciences and maths needed to judge if this is concrete or not.  I'll leave it to smarter folks to poke holes in it.
But I will note this.  The recent history of transportation is the history of people saying that 'this' can't be done and then smart people going out and doing 'this'.  Heavier than air flight was impossible.  Breaking the sound barrier was impossible.  Going to the moon was impossible.  From what I understand, when the car was invented there was some concern that people couldn't survive driving faster than 45 mph or so. 
'Impossible' is not the way to bet long term.

No comments: