Sunday, November 23, 2008

$1.69

That's what I bought gas at today. I'm pretty sure that is the lowest it's been since I moved in with the FP Gal. In my mind the emotional price of gas (i.e. the price gas should be, closely connected to the price it was when you started driving) is between $1.00 and $1.09. I thought those days were past us never to return. Now we're only sixty cents away.
I don't remember the highest I saw gas in the Cities last summer but I think it was just over $4. That means that the price has dropped almost 60% in the last few months. That's an amazing amount. I'm frankly surprised that there hasn't been more news coverage of this. Some explainer pieces if nothing else. Or some explanations from economists as to why none of them predicted this.
The really interesting thing to me is that I think a real change in driving attitudes has sunk in. In other words, even if gas prices stay below $2 I bet most people will now permanently stay away from SUVs and other low mileage cars. Really there should be a market for very small/high mileage cars. I hope that it will now be served better.

3 comments:

I Love Barbershop said...

I saw gas for $1.62 in Rochester on Sunday. Grrrreat!!!

Kate said...

I'm definitely keeping my non-SUV car, but I sure enjoyed the Sunday Afternoon Drive that I took yesterday. It was my special treat after the ban of them for so very long.

MommyLisa said...

I started to freak out at $1.83...with the drive to St.Paul everyday I am a bit happier.