Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Backseat Music Critic

Relia has started to exercise the 'heckler's veto' over my car radio. This weekend while driving to Austin and back she told me in no uncertain terms that she didn't want me to switch from CD to sports talk. Then she insisted that we sing her new favorite song.

John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt

Especially the 'da da da da da da da' part at the end. She gets excited for it, raising a hand for emphasis. And then she says, "Again!", until otherwise distracted.
(Wikipedia says: "The song is commonly sung by young children at communal outings such as long bus rides and Boy Scout or Girl Scout outings. The mock German name celebrated in the song suggests that some English speakers still find longer northern-European names to be inherently funny words." I can't help but agree. Farfegnugen. Ha!)
This morning she liked 'Tall Ships Go' but not 'All Fall Together'. Then we moved on to 'Over the Border' (easily my favorite obscure Big Country song, if that isn't a bit redundant) and she was much happier. Hans, any analysis from that?
I've got strong memories of listening to music in the back seat of my parents car. Show tunes stand out in my mind with both 'South Pacific' and 'Fiddler on the Roof' represented. Also...there was a tape called...'Best of the Best'(?). It was a collection of songs that included 'Peter Gunn', 'Ringo' and 'Put Your Head on My Shoulder'. (I'd be very happy to get my hands on that tape again. Family of mine, any idea where it ended up?)
I wonder what Relia will remember?

7 comments:

Hans said...

I have that tape. I got my hands on it as soon as I could. When we get back home, I'll get it out of storage and try to get you a copy. Remind me.

We'll have to try John Jacob Jingleheimerschmidt, too. I bet our kids would love it. They'll probably love it too much, actually.

As for the Big Country analysis, I can't help you there. Steeltown is a fantastic album, though, isn't it?

MamaD4 said...

Dearest, I find it a bit funny that you would suggest teaching them that song as you seem to have a low tolerance level for any raucous children's singing, especially anything that repeats ad nauseum.

I have to listen to Steeltown sometime...I've never tried it out, isn't that terrible?

We have TAPES somewhere? Ugh.

Peder said...

Hans, the song list alone would be fine. And Rachel, Steeltown really is fantastic.
Can't help but wonder about the effect of JJJS on German-American relations while you're over there...

DD4 said...

What about, "Who? What? Where?" I still have that tape. Do you want it?

Hans said...

I looked for the songlist from that album, but I can't find it. It had Ringo, You Send Me, Bouqet of Roses and a bunch of others whose names escape me. I'll look for it when we get home.

Alfred T. Mahan said...

It amuses me to no end that you've exposed your daughter to the rich, sonorous tones of Lorne Greene. An instant classic.

Hans said...

Ahhh, Ringo. It was a great song.

As for Steeltown, it's best listened to while driving at night with the volume turned up to 11.