Thursday, August 13, 2009

Dune - Herbert

'Dune' is the definitive Epic sci-fi novel. It focuses on a galactic Empire with two warring noble houses, the Atreides and the Harkonnen. The Atreides have just taken control of the desert planet Arrakis, commonly known as 'Dune'. The planet is both a blessing and a curse. It is the only known sourse of a geriatric spice that is highly valued throughout the galaxy. It's also the home of the Fremen, a desert people highly reminicent of Bedouin.
That's the overall political framework that the book takes place in. It also features a young man named Paul who is possibly the answer to a long term genetic prophecy. This part has a highly developed mystical aspect with a quasi-religion run by special women.
There was a lot of thought that went into this story. It's been compared to Tolkein's Middle Earth and that's pretty reasonable. It's that complex and involved. It also launched a bunch of sequels and inspired dozens of copy-cats.
I've read that this book was best read as a teenager. I can see where that would help. It wasn't really to my taste but I can see where it would really impress.

3 comments:

Alfred T. Mahan said...

Don't forget the movie, Peder!

"I will kill him"

Peder said...

Andrew, did you like the series?

Alfred T. Mahan said...

As far as the SFC miniseries, I thought it was better in many respects than the movie in bringing the book's vision to the screen (it lacked the Toto soundtrack, which is always a plus).

If you mean the books, I read the first sequel, but couldn't get much into the third one, and the fourth one, from what I read, seemed rather incomprehensible to me...but then, I was a teenager at the time.