Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Tornado!

We're fine, nobody hurt or any property damage.

Wednesday is my short day at work. I'm done at 130p and I drove straight home. There was good strong drizzle but it was not windy or dangerous feeling. Traffic was slow and there was lots of standing water on the streets.
My route takes me past Lake Nokomis and along past Minnehaha creek and then up Park Ave to our house. I got home and started making lunch. The FP Gal pointed out that we don't get the opportunity to go out eat w/o Relia and we should make the most of it. So we went back out into the rain and got in the car. My total time in the car couldn't have been more than five minutes.
For those who aren't familiar with our area, Park and Portland avenues are one way streets, north and south, just two blocks apart. We live on the avenue between them. The speed limit is a little higher on them and they serve as the main traffic arteries for our neighborhood.
Turning on to Portland was slow and the cars were moving very cautiously. Within a block we discovered that there were large branches down. Then we saw some large trees uprooted and leaning against houses. This was about a block over and one down from our home. We drove down Portland for about ten blocks and the damage was more and more severe. We finally turned and cut over four blocks and there weren't even any leaves down.
On our way to lunch we listened to the radio and they were trying to figure out what happened. We thought it was a tornado because of the very localized damage. No one expected this. There was no warning whatsoever.
On the way back from lunch we drove back down Park near Minnehaha creek and the damage was quite severe. Almost every yard had a large tree down. That street is going to look very, very different. The reports we heard sounded like the tornado went south to north. If that's the case it must have hit that street a few minutes after I drove through there. It looked like drifted over a couple of blocks to Portland around 45th st or so.
So far there have been no reports of injuries. It looked like some substantial roof damage to a number of homes and I'm sure some cars got hit with downed trees too. I hope that's the worst of it.

3 comments:

DD4 said...

I'm so relieved that you weren't involved, and I thank you and Sarah for calling me to tell me you were okay. The radio reports would have had me worried sick about you two and Aurelia.

Kate said...

Wow! Mom and dad were driving back from Des Moines and called to see if I had any weather going on here. I had no idea.... So glad you're all safe. So glad.

carrster said...

Glad to hear you guys were safe! That sucks about all the downed trees. I saw quite a few branches down when I was in Mpls today. Glad I missed the tornado! I hate tornadoes!