Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Stormy Weather

Anyone who has read this blog for awhile knows that I love the rainy weather. Gray drizzly days are my favorites but a big dramatic thunderstorm is unbeatable. The FP Gal agrees with me on this. In fact, she likes to go out and walk in the rain. I used to but haven't had good shoes for doing so in many, many years. And now I'm old and like my comfort.
Anyway, I've been looking forward to showing a nice big thunder-boomer to Relia. I want to teach her what it is and emphasize that mommy and daddy really enjoy them. She might not like the big sounds but hopefully we can urge her towards finding them exciting rather than scary.
I figured that this summer would be our first opportunity now that she's old enough to kinda sorta understand stuff. But it's been a big dud so far. Thunderstorms have been few and far between or very distant. And a large number of them have slid to either side of the Cities and missed us altogether. Or taken place after she has gone to bed. All that I've wanted was one late afternoon storm that we could watch from the porch and it hasn't happened.
This morning was the closest that we've come. There were rumblings around 530a. She woke a little before 6. I brought her down and took her to the porch even before getting her breakfast. I asked her what the rumbling was and again she said, "trucks". I told her it was 'thunder' and that the flashes were 'lightning' and that they went together. We watched for about twenty seconds and then she was bored and we stopped.
Someday we'll have that storm and I can teach her. Hopefully someday soon.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I love that you are doing this. AMEN!

carrster said...

Very cool. we took Dahlia out on the porch during a few storms. When there were loud claps of thunder she'd look up and then bury her head in my leg (or chest, neck, etc)...it wasn't like she was *scared* but maybe a little...and she sort of thought it was funny.... Ah kids!