Sunday, January 09, 2011

Starwatching

I've been complaining about the amateur astronomy available in Minnesota in the winter. Since the beginning of November the nights have either been too cloudy to see any stars or too cold to spend any time outside. Last night the FP Gal told me that it was clear and not too windy. In case I wanted to try the conditions.
Which I did. One of the targets on my list is the Orion nebula. If you look just below the belt, near what looks like a sword, you'll find the nebula. And I did find it but the city lights washed most of it out. Still, I'll take it.
Then I moved to the front of the house so that I could see out to the west and take a look at Saturn. According to the online sky-map, it's in near conjunction with Pluto right now. It was easy enough to pick out even if I couldn't see the rings. There were points near it that must have been moons (and everyone's favorite dwarf planet). Saturn's rings are supposed to be at a great viewing angle in April so I'll check back then, if not sooner.
Was it cold? Yeah. It really was. I needed hat and gloves and my total time outside was maybe ten minutes. Still, I got it in.

1 comment:

DD4 said...

I'm glad you took the opportunity to see these beautiful sights, Peder. Tell me, what is the morning planet I'm seeing in the south, south-west?