Thursday, April 28, 2011

NFL Draft

The NFL draft starts tonight. Most years this is a big event but the whole labor situation has screwed up the anticipation. It's hard to get excited about new players on your team when you don't know if they'll play this fall. (A word on that first. I'm not optimistic that the season starts on time. So far everything has gone the players direction. But the owners can more easily afford to miss money. That could mean a war of attrition. I'm hoping that it doesn't come to that . . . but I'm not that hopeful.)
The Vikings have the 12th pick in the draft. Their QB situation is famously bad and the belief is that they'll hope to get a franchise QB. Everything I hear says that there are two QBs that are head and shoulders above the others this year and both should be taken earlier. So then what? Do they reach and pick the third best QB?
Man, I hope not. The biggest needs for this team are offensive line, defensive secondary and defensive line. I want this draft to focus on these three areas, with a huge emphasis on the O-line. I'd much rather sink with Joe Webb and a better line than a new QB and a worse line. If that means we wait a year to get a franchise QB then so be it.
I'm also hearing that the Vikes are looking to pick up a receiver in the first round. This seems silly to me. You don't rebuild teams with skill position guys, you build with foundational types at the lines.

No comments: