Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Top 80's Songs

I heard part of an interesting list on the radio, VH1's top 100 80's songs. I found it online and thought I'd share the top twenty:

20. Jessie's Girl - Rick Springfield (I'm surprised this made the top 100, much less the top 20.)
19. Time After Time - Cyndi Lauper (Not as good a song as 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun' or 'True Colors'.)
18. Come On Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners (A prototypical one hit wonder and a good one.)
17. Here I Go Again - Whitesnake (Not my style of music, never really cared for it.)
16. Need You Tonight - INXS (I've got no problem with this pick. Great song.)
15. Jump - Van Halen (Another great song. Not my style but I've got no argument with it.)
14. Walk Like an Egyptian - The Bangles (Kind of gimmicky but it works. Certainly wouldn't crack my top 20.)
13. With Or Without You - U2 (Great, great song and could be #1 on my list.)
12. How Will I Know - Whitney Houston (Not a big fan but I know she was popular.)
11. Don't Stop Believin' - Journey (Best hair band of the decade.)
10. You Shook Me All Night Long - AC/DC (Again, not my style.)
9. Walk This Way - Run DMC (Seriously? Number nine? Doesn't this seem wildly overrated?)
8. Like a Virgin - Madonna (Yeah, this was one of the defining songs of the decade.)
7. Sweet Child of Mine - Guns N' Roses (Ick. Wouldn't crack my top 1000.)
6. I Can't Go For That (No Can Do) - Hall and Oates (Really? Number six? For a throwaway song like this?)
5. When Doves Cry - Prince (You could convince me that 'Let's Go Crazy' belongs here but not this one.)
4. Billie Jean - Michael Jackson (Yep, easily one of the top five defining songs of the decade.)
3. Hungry Like the Wolf - Duran Duran (No problem with Duran Duran here but I would have gone with a different song.)
2. Pour Some Sugar on Me - Def Leppard (Awful, awful song. Made worse by being overplayed to death.)
1. Livin' on a Prayer - Bon Jovi (Ugh. I can't stand this song either. Same faults as #2 but was even more popular.)



Interestingly, the songs they have 21-40 are much better. If I had to pick between a compilation album, I'd go with this set every time:

40. Love Shack - B52's
39. I Melt With You - Modern English
38. Pride (In the Name of Love) - U2
37. Janie's Got a Gun - Aerosmith
36. 867-5309/Jenny - Tommy Tutone
35. In the Air Tonight - Phil Collins
34. Every Rose Has It's Thorn - Poison
33. Tainted Love - Soft Cell
32. Sister Christian - Ranger
31. Under Pressure - Queen/David Bowie
30. Love is a Battlefield - Pat Benatar
29. Burning Down the House - Talking Heads
28. Wake Me Up Before You Go Go - Wham
27. Too Shy - Kajagoogoo
26. Welcome to the Jungle - Guns N' Roses
25. Our Lips Are Sealed - The Go Go's
24. Take On Me - a-ha
23. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper
22. Just Like Heaven - The Cure
21. Beat It - Michael Jackson


Delete the Poison and Guns N' Roses and that's a pretty strong set of songs.

1 comment:

Meigan said...

"Janie's got a gun..." Come on, just a little GNR? Please? And what would Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure be if it hadn't been for those great lyrics from "Every Rose Has its Thorn?"

I will agree on the "Pour some sugar" assessment. Ish.