Sunday, April 17, 2011

First Matchbox Play

Today we drove down to Austin so Relia could see a real live stage play. She is such a natural performer that it's hard for me not to see some theater in her future. I figured the first step was to let her see some of it for herself and see if the bug catches.
We met up with Pop Pop at Godfather's Pizza. They have a nice pizza buffet and plenty of room for extended family so it works out well. The music there started with 'Everybody Walk the Dinosaur' and continued on with George Michael's 'Faith' and Genesis 'Land of Confusion'. In other words, they haven't changed their music selection in twenty some years. Not that I was complaining!
We left Felix with Pop Pop at the church (lots of room to run around and an actual nursery). Then it was off to the Paramount. This was my first time in there since it was renovated. It's gorgeous. Lots of older style decor and glitz, of course. And the auditorium is painted like a city at dusk. There are even stars on the ceiling. I pointed them out to Relia and she kept saying 'it's like we're outside!".
The show . . . well . . . Here is the deal. I'm a terrible play goer and have been for some time. It's next to impossible for me to turn off my internal critic. Usually that means that I'm figuring how I could have given a better performance than someone. Today it meant that I wanted to give the cast notes on being louder and faster on the cues. Which, frankly, is a pretty unfair criticism to lay at the feet of a troupe of kids.
Did Relia enjoy it? I think so. I'm not sure how much of it she understood. She knew there was a troll and some frogs. And a real live dog appeared on stage. There was some three year old restlessness before the show ended, I can firmly attest to that. But . . . I think she liked it.
After it was done we went up to the stage to say hi to the cast. She wanted to shake their hands. They told her she could go on stage and look around. So we did. While back there I ran into Cameron Davis, who built the set for the show. Relia asked him if he was the troll. Without missing a beat he said, "No, I always look like this!".
I had one very nice moment with Relia on the stage. I stopped her wandering and asked her to look outward. I mentioned that with the lights on, the actors could barely see the audience at all. When I asked her if it looked fun she nodded yes with lots of energy.
She just might have caught the bug after all.

Update: The FP Gal has photos up.

6 comments:

DD4 said...

Oh, wouldn't that be grand?! Perhaps you could volunteer to direct plays once she is enrolled in elementary school. You'd be great doing that! And I'm positive she would be great on stage!

Steve said...

Since the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area has the highest number of theater seats per capita in the United States, some may wonder why you drove 125 miles to see a kid's show in Austin, but I certainly get it. And no, Godfather's never changes. I believe the same three arcade games are still there on the right side of the counter as well.

Anonymous said...

You should take her to a play at the Hopkins stages theatre. SO SO SO fun! We are heading to Pinkalicious.

carrster said...

Oh memories, Peder!! How awesome that you got to share this experience with your little girl. I think Dahlia has the bug too. Ay yi yi...to encourage or not to encourage, that is the question! (haha!)

Kate said...

Well, that last sentence sent me tear-bound.

Hans said...

So does the Paramount look like Barnes and Noble in downtown Rochester? Sounds like it from your description.