Sunday, April 24, 2011

Capitol

The FP Gal had this past Friday off so we braved the confusing streets of St Paul and went to the Children's Museum. After some prime playing (Relia makes a very good ant) and lunch, we got back in the car to go home. We saw the capitol building and I suggested that we stop and go inside.
Relia learned a bit about it at preschool. She knew about the horses on the roof. She told me it was where the governor lives (though she called him the boss of Minnesota). I told her we would go there sometime and, well, this seemed like a good opportunity.

She asked me if the building was made out of metal. I told her it was a kind of stone called 'marble'. Then I told her that we couldn't yell while we're in there. She seemed doubtful, but was good enough to obey.


Relia and the horses. The stuff on her face is paint from the Children's Museum. You can't see it well but her chin and throat were blackened. She explained that this was to 'guard the flowers on her cheeks'. Non-parents take note, kids sometimes act like you've given them LSD.

Inside on one of the numerous staircases. All of which she preferred to hold hands. I quietly told the FP Gal that parts of the capitol building were simply begging for a rubber ball. That brought this to mind for her.

Relia rubbing the foot of William Colvill (or at least his statue). This man was instrumental in many things, among them being an early inspiration for her cousin Will's name. We told her that rubbing his foot would bring good luck, which may be true for all we know.

One of the big, glorious marble staircases. I think she liked them a lot. Behind her is the Minnesota State Senate. We tried to explain this to her but I doubt it really stuck. We also showed her the House (which looked nothing like a house) and the Supreme Court. I think my explanation of the Supreme Court was the most confusing to her. After I was done she told me that they showed them on the TV at Grandma D's church.

Laying next to the North Star and looking up at the dome. I've heard this is a popular activity among kids. I liked it. We had to time this for in between tour groups. Actually, there were only the two tour groups and us. It's nicer to explore without crowds.

The inside view of the dome. As you can see, there is construction going on. Or more likely they're cleaning. We got to see the chandelier that normally hangs up there. The sign said this was it's first cleaning in 31 years.

I'm glad we went, even though it may have been too early for Relia to really get what we were seeing. I'm sure we'll go back in a few years and she'll understand more and more. I'm guessing DF will get more out of a future visit too . . .

3 comments:

Chris said...

We went to the Capitol a few weeks ago during Legacy Weekend (celebrating the Legacy amendment). They had lots of tours and not many visitors. It was a great time.

We learned that they are repairing the dome because it leaks and there has been a lot of water damage over the years.

DD4 said...

What a great time you had! I loved the photo of you and Aurelia lying on the floor.

I have no idea why she thought the Supreme Court reminded her of my church, but it's a funny comment.

Maybe she'll get married on those marble stairs someday in the far future.

Alfred T. Mahan said...

Take her to see the battle flags that the MHS (in a display of good sense) will be rotating through on a six-to-eight month basis; lots of neat colors to go with the state history.

And yes, rubbing Col. Colvill's foot *does* bring good luck.