Sunday, January 01, 2012

2011 Vikings RIP

The season is (mercifully) over and I want to put down some thoughts now so I can look back and laugh later.






  • This was only the second Viking team of my lifetime to 3-13. The other one (in 1983) was almost certainly a worse one. For instance, of the Vikings 13 losses, no fewer than 9 were by less than a touchdown. That means one tipped ball or dropped pass from the opposition or some other fluke in those games and they could have won any of them.



  • Their other four losses were by deficits of 29, 38, 10 and 22. So they lost a ton of games but only were blown out three times. This wasn't a terrible team. Or at least, not an all time terrible team.



  • Their three wins were by margins of 24, 3 and 7. So all in all they played 11 out of 16 games to less than a touchdown difference. Yeesh.



Enough with the scores though, what do they do moving forward? Back in the spring I wanted them to draft the best O-lineman they could and roll the dice with Webb at quarterback. Instead they grabbed Ponder for QB. We got to see plenty of him this season and you can see the potential. He might be a pretty good QB in time.
The problem is that every time Webb has been given an opportunity, he's been pretty good. I keep hearing that he couldn't be a franchise quarterback and for the life of me, I don't understand why not. As a back up he'll be better than some of the other QBs that start next season for other teams. Maybe the Vikings really do have this figured out but I could use some convincing.
What else? The defensive secondary looked old this year. Maybe next draft they pick a cornerback with the third pick and then another one early in the second round. For the last few years the Viking defensive backfield has been awful and that needs to change. It could also be that the Vikes need to abandon the Tampa 2 defense. I watch other teams play and the opposing receivers are covered and I think, why not us?
The offensive line needs help and that help should come in a hurry. I don't know if that means drafting or simply going out and finding bodies but it needs to be improved. I keep hearing that next year's draft should be deep for receivers. If so, then I hope they hold off until the late rounds.

The last year and a half have been just abysmal for Minnesota sports (except for the Lynx). I wonder how long until the rebound?

No comments: