Saturday, January 14, 2012

Football Rivalries

Yesterday while driving home with Relia she saw a house with a Green Bay Packer flag and mailbox. She has noticed it before and has asked me if the people there like football. Um, yeah, I'm guessing they do. No one would put that stuff up there to class up a house.
As we watch football games she always wants to know which team is which. Which color goes with what name and where they are from. She must be catching on because she could recognize the Packer stuff.
Then we had this conversation:

Relia: We don't like the Packers, right?
Me: That's right.
Relia: We like the Vikings!
Me: (smiling) Yes we do.
Relia: And we don't like the Packers because they steal things, right?
Me: Uh, no. They don't steal things. Not that I know of.
Relia: (trying to work it out) I thought I heard you say that they steal things.
Me: I don't know what you heard sweetheart but that isn't why I don't like them.
Relia: Then why?
Me: (thinking quickly) Because when they win then the Vikings can't win.
Relia: (still confused) Oh.

I'm torn here. I'd like my kids to share my likes and dislikes yet at the same time it's tough to teach your four year old why she should respect a sports rivalry. And the only thing I can figure out with the 'stealing' thing is that the Packers look a bit like the Steelers.

And in a few months I have to teach her why we don't like the Cubs!

No comments: