- While the Opening ceremonies are next Friday night (July 27th), some of the events start earlier. Notably the soccer games start on Wednesday. Otherwise they can't fit the whole tournament into just two weeks. You can find the schedule here.
- The 2014 Winter games will be in Sochi, Russia. 2016 will have the first Olympic games to be held in South America as Rio de Janeiro hosts. (Those Opening ceremonies will be something!) In 2018 Pyeongchang, South Korea will have the winter games. 2020? That won't be selected until September of 2013. It's down to Istanbul, Tokyo or Madrid. For reasons of geographical diversity, I'm guessing it will be Madrid.
- The U.S. hasn't hosted since 2002 in Salt Lake City. When will they do it again? For the past few years there has been an ongoing dispute between the U.S. and the IOC over various funding issues. That was recently settled, opening the door for us to host again. There will be an aggressive bid for the 2024 summer games. Right now the candidates are Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia or San Francisco.
- Apparently the Brits are leaning heavily on the 'Chariots of Fire' theme music in the run-up to the London games. The movie has been remastered and rereleased in London. How fun is that?
- We're planning on getting a page of national flags so that Relia can match them up. We have a world map on our wall and I think it's going to get quite a bit of use over the next few weeks.
Saturday, July 21, 2012
With just under a week to go, I thought I'd do one more post on the Olympics with various whatnot. Ready?