Tuesday, August 14, 2012

What Your Songs Say About You

An interesting article from NPR (hat tip, Instapundit) about an attempt to tell what your music choices say about you as a person.  The researchers are asking people to pick songs to match these questions:
  • What was the first song you ever bought?
  • What song always gets you dancing?
  • What song takes you back to your childhood?
  • What is your perfect love song?
  • What song would you want at your funeral?
  • Time for an encore. What song makes you, you?
This seems like an interesting exercise so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

1. The first song I ever got was 'Mr Roboto' from Styx.  I got the whole tape but I got it only for that one song.  I think that once I had the whole thing, the song that got me was 'Don't Let it End'.
2. Several do, but the can't miss one is 'Rock This Town' as done by the Brian Setzer Orchestra.  When it comes on in the car and I can't dance, I get REALLY LOUD while singing it.
3. This is either John Denver's Greatest Hits or Debbie Boone 'You Light Up My Life'.  Probably Debbie.  (Guess what tapes my parents played in the car back in the 70's!)
4. The perfect love song is, funny enough, 'Love Song' by the Cure.  Oh, I'm sure other songs too, but nothing tops this.
5. Another easy one, at my funeral I want U2's 'MLK' played.  (And as people leave, 'End of the Line' by Traveling Wilburys.)
6. Man, this is a tough one.  There are many, many songs that I love.  But I don't know if I love any more than I do Tears for Fears, 'Working Hour'. 

By the way, if you're interested, all of these songs are easily findable on YouTube (I bet).

No comments: