Monday, February 26, 2007

Oscar thoughts

  • I really like Ellen but she was pretty bad last night. She had a few nice moments of interaction with Clint Eastwood but her opening was painful and the brief in-between stuff was utterly forgettable. Don't know if she was nervous or just didn't understand the requirments of the Oscar gig.
  • Bring back Billy Crystal! Seriously, we've tried other people but no one can fill his shoes when it comes to this. Or even Billy Crystal and Robin Williams...
  • What's the difference between 'Sound Editing' and 'Sound Mixing'? And why aren't these part of the technical awards? Related question: 'Flags of our Fathers' and 'Letters from Iwo Jima' featured the same Sound Editing team. How did voters tell them apart enough to award them an Oscar?
  • Would anyone else like to see the voting totals for these movies? Or what the next five 'Best Picture' selections would have been? Just me?
  • If someone made a documentary about the enormous waste of the private jets and luxury cars of Hollywood's powerful people, what chance would it have of making the best documentary category?
  • Seriously, Billy Crystal. And this is good too.
  • My favorite part? The foreign language film montage. Yep, I'm a geek.
  • All in all, not a bad way to spend 11 hours on a snowy Sunday night.

1 comment:

Brian said...

I thought Ellen did ok. I was just soooooo long. I felt like many of the catagories were the same, just with different names. I saw The Departed, but none of the rest of the nominies. I am not sure it was best picture, but I don't always agree with "them".