Thursday, February 15, 2007

Why James Lileks is Responsible for our Baby

Three years ago today I met the FP Gal for the first time. We'd emailed back and forth (someday I'll tell about the Hulk joke that made her laugh out loud at work) but this was our first meeting face to face. Details are here if you're interested. Of note was that we discovered that our birthdays were only one day apart (actually 364 but you know what I mean). This was our first big connection. The second one was the real doozy.
We'd been dating for a month or so and one night I was telling her about the companies I book travel for. Among them was Pillsbury. Very nice people and they gave us various Doughboy themed gifts. This brought to mind an old (Sept 19, 1999) column from James Lileks in which he wondered if the Doughboy was changing color. Lileks called Pillsbury to ask about it and a column was born. A very funny column obviously since it had stuck in my head strongly enough that I'd free associate to it while talking with a new girlfriend.
The crazy part is that she knew the column I was talking about. Nearly six years earlier it had become a favorite between her and a close friend. Such a favorite that the very same column was hanging in her friend's hall at that very moment. We now have a copy of it on our fridge. Sadly, I can't find it online at all to link to.
The point is that it seemed in that moment as if fate was telling us something. One random column that meant enough for both of us to remember it out of the blue. These are the things that love is made of. (Even stranger, a year later on the day that I proposed to her we went to a time-share presentation in Mexico where the salesman brought this up on his own.)
Anyway, time passed, we were married and now have a baby on the way. And there's a strong possibility that none of it would have happened without the aid of James Lileks. Thanks, man, from the bottom of my heart, thanks.

3 comments:

AJ's Cafe said...

A consideration to add to the "name" list. Doughboy DeFor; has a ring to it. I'm glad for James Lileks!!!

carrster said...

Very sweet! :)

Sarita said...

...and this is our son, little Poppin' Fresh DeFor