Friday, July 03, 2009

Cascade Volcanoes


I talked with my Mom yesterday. She few out to Seattle earlier this week and lucky to have clear skies as she flew in. She could see north from the plane and got a good view of Mt Baker (located right outside of beautiful Bellingham, WA). We talked about some of the volcanoes of the range and she wanted some kind of map so she could place it all in context. To the right is the image I stole from Wikipedia.
Mount St Helens is the newsmaker of course, but several others are still active. Mt Baker still steams away but they don't think that it's near eruption. None of the range seem in immeadiate danger of a catastrophic blow up, but it's hard to tell. The St Helens eruption took place only two months after the first shocks were felt.
Mt Ranier will always have a special place in my heart, of course. It's a big reason that I fell in love with the region. Paradise Inn (the highest drivable point of the mountain, I think) is open again after a renovation and someday I'd love to stay there for a night or two.

2 comments:

DD4 said...

Thank you, Peder. I can always count on you for assistance.

carrster said...

As you know, I too love Mt. Rainier. It is so beautiful. I also dig Mt. Hood & the Three Sisters. It's an amazing area and I'm kind of jonesing to get out there again soon!