Thursday, July 30, 2009

Staycation update

Ok, so I meant to blog about what we did every day this week. I might have even said I was going to (though I'm not going to go back and look). Man, did I fall down on that intention. I'm going to blame it on overall relaxedness. For those that are interested here is the quick update.

Monday - We drove out to Willernie to visit my great aunt Liz and mom's cousin Pat (first cousin once removed?). Willernie is a charming little village up near (on?) White Bear Lake. The FP Gal took pictures posted here. The highlight was the tour on the 'Patty Wagon' where we learned the history of the place. We saw the house that Ma Barker and her boys summered at and a house that Dillenger might have stayed at. Pat made adorable box lunches for us and we ate outside on her patio. It was a very nice day.

Tuesday - A very calm day. I took Relia to a park in the morning. The FP Gal called while we were out and asked me to pick up some margarita salt for her 'teacher's meeting'. That afternoon she hosted her teaching team while I sheltered up on the third floor. Both of us felt like we got the best part of the deal.

Wednesday - Relia spent the day with the FP Gal's folks. We drove over to St Paul and walked through a wealthy neighborhood. This is our hobby. We discuss the design and marvel at the gorgeous homes. Lunch was at the Purple Onion, the restaurant that introduced me to chipotle mayo. Some light shopping and then home for naps.

Thursday - Today we took Relia over to the Children's Museum. A very nice place with one signifcant drawback. One of the rooms featured a dozen drums on the floor. A mob of children beat them continuously. I went from zero to headache in about two minutes. Distance from the room helped. The place is pretty impressive. We bought season passes so we can go back and explore at our leisure.

Tomorrow we're going to get rid of Relia for a few days. We'll keep you updated.

3 comments:

MamaD4 said...

I am especially jealous of your day in St. Paul...

What are you doing all weekend? Your mom mentioned that she's babysitting for you.

Peder said...

We looked at Chicago but the flights were too much. So we're staying in the Cities and doing some stuff here.

carrster said...

Sounds great!! Looks like your'e getting to do a lot of fun stuff on your staycation!