Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Best Movie Drama of the 00's?

I've done some questioning on what are the defining movies of this decade. No really satisfying answers but I've run across someone else's stab at the question. The Sports Guy (a very talented ESPN writer) has a poll going. Here is his list, with my comments:
  • Almost Famous (2000) - Haven't seen it. Heard good stuff.
  • Brokeback Mountain (2005) - I liked it but it gets an enormous bounce for it's preferred cultural message. Maybe defines something about our society's feelings towards gay men but is overrated as a stand alone movie.
  • Cast Away (2000) - Loved it (except for the end part with Helen Hunt). Great acting and interesting story. Very watchable whenever I run across it on cable.
  • The Dark Knight (2008) - Very good but suffered a bit on the second viewing. Would have been great if it was about a half hour shorter.
  • The Departed (2006) - Dreadful movie. Incredibly disappointing. Cartoonishly profane and Jack Nicholson is simply embarrassing.
  • Gladiator (2000) - Liked it when it came out. Haven't watched it in at least five years. Certainly doesn't trip off of my lips as a 'defining' movie.
  • Lord of the Rings (2001) - Taken as a triology, it's the the most obvious of the defining films. If pressed, this would be my answer.
  • No Country for Old Men (2007) - Very strong elements but I hated (hated) the ending. I certainly wouldn't vote for this.
Looking through the list of Oscar nominated films I'd add 'Moulin Rouge', 'Million Dollar Baby' and 'Slumdog Millionaire' as possible answers. On second thought, this was really the Pixar decade and that should be reflected here. But they aren't really dramas, are they?
What else should be discussed? 'Blackhawk Down', maybe? I loved 'The Prestige'. What about 'The Passion of the Christ'? Any thoughts?

7 comments:

Jennifer Miller said...

The two I can think of off the top of my head:

The Aviator--not sure if this was in the 00's or not, but Leo's performance stuck with me. Also Alan Alda because I secretly love him.

Reign Over Me--Simply amazing. Adam Sandler blew me away. It is not a movie to watch for cheering up, but it haunted me. I would say it was the only good 9/11 movie made.

Hans said...

I liked the ending of Castaway. That was kind of the end of Helen Hunt, though, wasn't it. I think that Black Hawk Down was the best movie of 2001. Much better than A Beautiful Mind.

My vote for best Drama of the 00's? Flight 93. No questions.

MamaD4 said...

I'm actually surprised that Hans didn't say "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby"...

Peder said...

Rachel, I think that the decade will be better remembered for comedies than dramas. You could almost call it the Will Ferrel decade. Well, him and the good animated movies.

Peder said...

Jen, 'The Aviator' was in the 00's so it certainly could be part of the conversation. Haven't seen it, so no comment. Didn't see 'Reign Over Me' either (can't stand Sandler). It's hard for me to think of it being better than 'Flight 93' which really was outstanding.

Hans said...

I meant United 93, not Flight 93. I'm on Percocet - I have an excuse.

Peder said...

Well, I was typing while watching a toddler. That's my excuse.