Thursday, July 09, 2009

Online dating/Book clubbing

I've just found out that Borders (at least the UK version) is starting a dating service. The post that mentioned it is here. The author argues against it for what I judge to be snobbishly bookish reasons. For instance he worries that successful couples would duplicate libraries and that type of thing. I disagree (and I'll get to that in a moment) but I love the end of his post:
I don't know if Borders will actually be making recommendations for dates in the same way as they recommend books, but it would be priceless if members got regular email updates: "Did you enjoy, Mark, 34, of Swindon? Then you should try Gareth, 36, of Slough." Or: "After dating Sally of Birmingham, 86 per cent of customers go on to date Jayne of Devizes."
This is a terrific idea and if I still worked at B&N I'd pass it on to them. Book lovers don't always mix well with book ignorers. We like to discuss what we read. We like to be challenged by our interpretation. Most of all we like to share the wonderful experiences that we've had. When I'm reading a great book I often start thinking about who I should recommend it to.
That doesn't mean that any two book lovers will be compatible either. Fantasy doesn't always mix well with non-fiction and chick lit doesn't mix well with sports autobiographies. But a book club setting lets you sort and sift and find out what combos work.
Maybe most importantly, book discussion lets you find out more about the other person than an online profile ever will. What characters do they find sympathetic and who got just what they deserved? What themes appealed to them? What situations did they find totally unrealistic or unconvincing? What values are important to them? You can find out all of these things over a short period of time in a book club.
Frankly, it's a great idea.

5 comments:

MamaD4 said...

I think the only Book we doubled on was the Bible...

Hans and I definitely don't have the same taste in literature!

I have heard him say that when he saw my match.com profile and it noted that I always have something to read--that sort of sealed the deal for him. Pairing a reader with a non-reader would be odd...

Kate said...

Let me know when it comes to Sioux Falls. This online dating thing sucks. Like. Alot. Do you know how many people I've met that say, "Oh, I don't read." Um. Okay...

Peder said...

Kate, I thought about starting a singles book club so I could introduce some of the great single women I know to thoughtful and intelligent single men. The only problem is that I don't know many single straight men. And I couldn't think of any way of finding those men that wouldn't make it look like I was trying to chat them up.
It's still a good idea.

Alfred T. Mahan said...

*dry laugh*

Peder, you know me, although I doubt overmuch that my taste in books would be much of a plus in the world of dating.

"Why, yes, I also enjoy long walks, classic Astaire/Rogers movies, and Norman Friedman's Illustrated Design Histories of United States Navy Warships! Let's meet!"

Peder said...

Andrew, you are the lone single man that proves the exception to the rule. The book club would have been you and eight women.