Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Crash Day

Hard to believe but my car crash was seven years ago today. Seven. That doesn't seem possible. Quite a bit has happened since then (that's an understatement) and in a real way, life has moved on. During the first year I thought about it every day. Now, only occasionally. Though especially when the roads are bad.
Life didn't go on unchanged, of course. The crash left a mark or two. The most dramatic is the loss of sight in one eye. I've alluded to it in the past but I thought this anniversary I'd write about it in a little depth.
Depth being the thing that was most changed, of course. The doctors told me that because your eyes are only a few inches apart you only get real depth perception for about 50 ft or so. Everything beyond that is dependent on shading and movement. And experience too. I think there would be a huge difference for someone born with sight in one eye.
Driving presents no problem. Seeing cars in the driver side blind spot is a bit tricky but it only takes some work. Parking was tricky at first until I learned the distance to the bumper better. Actual driving on the road is unchanged. You can easily try this on your own.
In fact, people I've worked with for years are surprised if they learn of my cyclopticism. Judging distances to desks and table tops is easier than people think. At work I'm much more hampered by my inability to smell things.
There are some small tells and changes. It's uncomfortable for me to have someone walk on my left side. It's hard not to bump into them. Similarly, I prefer to have people sit to my right so I can talk to them more easily. The FP Gal has been thoroughly trained on these points, I expect the kids will be too.
Most days I forget about this entirely. It is much more dramatic sounding an injury than it has turned out to be. Who would have guessed that seven years ago?

6 comments:

I Love Barbershop said...

Peder, we are so blessed to have you in our lives. I remember that day very well.

Kate said...

Peder. I'm so glad you made it. So very, very glad. And I will forever sit and visit with you on your right side.

DD4 said...

What a day that was - - for you, Rachel and Hans! I'll never forget it.

Your positive attitude has taken you far. I used to be aware of your blindness when we were together, but now it hardly ever enters my mind.

carrster said...

I'm glad that you're in my life!! Cyclops or not. ;)

Hans said...

You know, I was swapping gruesome hospital stories with someone yesterday and I was telling him about our crash. I completely blanked that it was the anniversary. Bizarre.

I still have some sliding on the ice trepidation. Flashbacks, etc... Sometimes my shoulder still hurts. Rachel's arm still hurts sometimes, too. I'm glad we all made it. Very glad.

Peder said...

Hans, I'm glad too. It obviously could have been much worse. Interestingly, I was thinking of recounting some of the funny hospital stories this year, not the gruesome ones.