Tuesday, March 08, 2011

To the Stage!

I made a mistake this weekend. I've been looking for an opportunity to take Relia to a real live stage play. My preference has been to find something by Matchbox down in Austin. Both for sentimental reasons and because I have a much better feel for how their stuff works. And as an added bonus, I still know some of the theater people down there.
So I looked at the Matchbox website and lo and behold, they have a play coming up in April. A quick peek at the cast list and I find that her cousin Montana is there. Now we have to go! And then I made the mistake. I talked about this to the FP Gal in front of Relia. Now she's obsessed.
Today's ride to preschool went something like this:

Relia: Are we going to the play?
Me: No honey, that's not until next month. A long time from now.
Relia: Why?
Me: Because that's when it is.
Relia: But Montana will be there!
Me: Uh, yes she will.
Relia: Why can't I be in the play too? (!!!)
Me: You can sometime but not for this play.
Relia: Why?
Me: Two reasons, one you're a bit too young and two it's in Austin.
Relia: Where Pop Pop lives?
Me: Yes.
Relia: And Montana lives with Pop Pop.
Me: In the same town, but in her own house.
Relia: And that's where the play is.
Me: Well, not at her house. At the theater. Kind of like where you saw the movie.
Relia: (big flash of inspiration) I want to be in the 'Tangled' movie! I want to be Rapunzel!
Me: (losing ground) It doesn't quite work that way.
Relia: But I want magic hair!
Me: (still struggling) Um, that kind of magic is only in stories, sweetheart.
Relia: But I want to be in those stories!
Me: You'll make your own stories. And they'll be good!
Relia: And then I'll be in the movie?
Me: (staying silent in hopes that she'll change the subject)
Relia: And then it will be Halloween?
Me: No honey. Not yet.
Relia: Next month.

And on and on and on until we finally pulled up at preschool and I was discharged. I don't think that I really captured the whole Abott and Costello approach to her reasoning. She doesn't find finality at any point in the conversation, she just veers.
But she wants to be on the stage! Don't worry sweetheart, I'll help you out with that.

5 comments:

carrster said...

hahaha! That is an awesome conversation. I love trying to explain stuff like that to a 3-year-old. :) *sigh* Matchbox, memories indeed!

DD4 said...

Well--this sure was fun to read. I marvel at your patience and am amazed at Relia's insight. Really fun!!

DD4 said...

OK--just to set the record straight-- the previous post is not from Donna DeFor. It is from Pat Soderberg. This post will say it is from Donna but it is not. This is also Pat Soderberg typing this. Not real sure how this happened. Your mom has been using my computer. Be sure to give Pat Soderberg credit for both of these comments.

DD4 said...

This comment is from DD4: Aurelia, it would be wonderful to see you in a play. I have no doubt that will happen someday. As for the Matchbox Play, I would love to go to the play with you!

Meigan said...

We can't wait to watch Relia on stage. At least once a week we use a "Reliaism" like 'phobia' or 'busty'.