Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Pretty Cars

(via Instapundit)

Here is an article on what makes the Jaguar E type so pretty. Pictures at the link and golly, that is a pretty car. Jags are high up on my someday rich wish list. Maybe not this model specifically but the company does make some very nice vehicles. I'm sure I could find something that I like.
I don't understand why current car companies don't use more vehicles from the past. There are only about half a dozen cars from the past twenty years that cause heads to turn where ever they go. Off the top of my head:
  • VW Beetle
  • Cooper Mini
  • Smart Car
  • Hummer
  • PT Cruiser
Three of those are notable based on their size. The Beetle and Cruiser however are lookers almost solely because they harken back to a different era. Both are based on proven looks and both of them had waiting lists of people waiting to buy them. Why doesn't this go on more often?
I'd especially like an updated copy of (not too updated) of a BMW from the 30's. The next time you watch 'Sound of Music' take a look at the cars that they have. Gorgeous, simply gorgeous.
I'm not convinced that you couldn't take that body and make it safe by today's standards. If you can fit all of the safety elements in side of, well, an Element, then you should be able to go with the larger bodies of the past. Car companies, you don't even have to be particularly bold with this! Please do it!

1 comment:

DD4 said...

I agree with you, Peder. Most cars look the same to me (unlike back in the 50's and early 60's when I could identify most of them from a distance). I know I'm prejudiced, but I love the shape of the Beetle - old and new!