Sunday, July 31, 2011

Working on Sundays

I have to work tonight and I think it's the first Sunday that I've worked in about 14 years.

Back in the day I worked Sundays quite a bit. I did closing shifts at McDonalds most Sundays. I worked at the bar most every Sunday; it was taco night. When I moved up to the Cities I worked Sunday nights at Pizza Hut. That's just the way it was.
Way back in '97 I moved out to Colorado Springs (fourteen years ago today!). After some hunting around got a job waiting tables at an Old Chicago. I don't remember why but I decided to draw a line and tell them I was unavailable for work on Sunday. Was up front and told them that was my day for watching football. They were fine with that and I spent every Sunday right back there watching games and playing trivia. (It was one of my favorite football seasons, in spite of the team but because of the place where I watched games.)
When I moved back to Minnesota I was done with restaurant work and actually did Monday through Friday work. Even when I went back to Barnes & Noble I only did Saturdays. Sunday was kept clear for other pursuits.

When they last did our shift bid they decided that it was only fair if everyone worked at least one weekend day. So . . . tonight I start back to working on Sunday.

No comments: