Sunday, April 16, 2006

Easter stuff

Went to Rochester today to see my Grandma. She's at St. Mary's hospital after some congestive heart difficulties and general muscle weakness. It's also her 81st birthday, which makes her two years older than the pope! She's in good spirits but not happy with the prospect of returning to a nursing home.
For the first time ever, I gave up something for Lent this year. Not being Catholic, it's never been a priority. But...it's good to strech some spiritual muscles. My sacrifice was french fries. I've only had a few strong urges, nothing too difficult. And I did cheat once, last Sunday after Roxy died. So I didn't run right out and have them today. Probably tomorrow. Will I do this again next year? Don't know.
Drove through tremendous rain on the way down today. Back when I was bartending for farmers, they told me that 'if it rains on Easter, it'll rain the next seven Sundays'. I'd never heard this before then. I've found it to be largely true. It probably has something to do with regular weather cycles or some such.
Happy Easter!

No comments: