Thursday, April 13, 2006

Immigration

Don't usually put political things on this blog, but I just had to say some things in response to the level of discourse on this issue. To begin with, I don't have a broad solution and I'm not sure where I'll finally land but some of the arguments put forth in support of illegal immigration are beyond absurd.

Opposition is anti-immigrant - Not at all! This debate is more about the number of immigrants that should be allowed in. No one (with the possible exception of Pat Buchanan) is suggesting closing the borders completly.
Our ancestors were allowed in - Yep, and we're glad for that. But the circumstances in 1900 were different than they are today. Just because the U.S. has had more open policies in the past doesn't mean they always have to be open.
No person is illegal - Um, what do you say to this. If laws have been passed and those laws are broken, illegality has occured. What's difficult to understand about this?

I don't know what the number should be or even where that number should be allowed to come from but I think both parts of that should be open to debate. I think that nations should be allowed to determine their own border policies and than police them as they see fit. Who has problems with this?

1 comment:

samrocha said...

Hi, I enjoyed your article on immigration, I think this is a very important dialogue to have and that Bloggers are making the climate very democratic. Feel free to look at some of my posts on the issue at my blog www.debaterelatepontificate.blogspot.com