Thursday, April 06, 2006

1981 in review

Atlantic City
On Golden Pond
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Chariots of Fire
Reds

Kind of a mixed bag for this year. Some really, really great movies and some forgettable ones too. 'Atlantic City' has fallen off any relavancy radar. 'Reds' is mostly forgotten too. 'Raiders' is fondly remembered, even by non-adventure fans. 'On Golden Pond' is also well remembered. 'Chariots' is remembered for the music but not the story. 'Chariots' won for Best Picture and it's a fine choice. I'd have gone with 'On Golden Pond'.

1 comment:

j said...

I just watched Chariots of Fire recently. I didn't really remember it - except for the incredibly cheesy music. It's one of my new favorites, but I think part of it was how I was viewing it. I thought the motivation of the runners was fascinating.

That being said, Raiders of the Lost Ark should've been one of my 4 movies that I could watch over and over. Because I have. There are so many great things about it. It may not be the most intellectual or cinemtactical, but who can resist it? It's good, clean fun. Although, I remember seeing it in the theatres when it first came out and my mom tried to cover my eyes when they were all melting when the ark was opened. Oops - spoiler includeed.