Thursday, July 13, 2006

Actors and Longevity

Interesting question from the sister-in-law about Oscar worthy actors and whether or not they stick around. My guess is that they do. Where to find out? I went to the Oscar Award database. (What, you don't have it bookmarked? I probably use this more than any straight man in America what with the movie project and all.) I used the database to look at Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor since 1980. Go ahead and look if you'd like. The list is filled with recognizable names. My sense is that Oscar level actors can always find work.
Now try the same thing with the ladies. Search the Best Actress and Best Supporting Actress lists. Lots of 'who 'dat' names. Or at least lots of ladies who you haven't seen for awhile. My theory is that in looks driven Hollywood, men age much better than women. Many women still find Harrison Ford sexy. Can you think of a woman in her 60's who is a sex symbol?
My other thought is that an Oscar performance relies on so much more than acting ability. Bill Murray was Oscar worthy in 'Lost in Translation' but you wouldn't think of him as an incredible actor. (Not running him down, but in the acting Hall of Fame voting, I don't think Denzel Washington or Anthony Hopkins have much to worry about.) The camerawork, music and above all the script are incredibly important from movie to movie.
Carrie, you're involved in this industry, what do you think?

4 comments:

carrster said...

You're absolutely right. Men age better therefore their careers seem to stick around longer.

That being said, I'm sure some would argue that they still think Sophia Loren can hold her own and don't forget people like Susan Sarandon.

Unfortunately that's how we work as a society I guess. Judi Dench has been around for a while (and a Dame, no less) and so has Meryl Streep but they aren't ladies that you'd consider "sex symbols" necessarily.

I definitely think winning an oscar gives you lots of cred and lots of work. Maybe the Looks thing will change. nah, probably not.

btw, I think Bill Murray is an awesome actor. Comedy is hard and he nails it. I thought his performance in Rushmore was awesome.

MamaD4 said...

Hmmm, so Tom Hulce didn't get it. That explains why he disappeared I guess, though what has F Murray Abraham done for us lately? Here's another question for you, Oh God of Movies: how many times have you heard of two actors being nominated for Best Actor from the same movie? Here's someone who won an Oscar and has't contributed much since: crap, forgot her name: Mighty Aphrodite, Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion, ugh...help?! Where did she go?

MamaD4 said...

Mira Sorvino!

Peder said...

Carrie, I wasn't trying to run down Bill Murray. I loved him in Rushmore, too. And I think comedy is probably harder than drama.
Rachel, when movies start campaigning for Oscar bids they usually position one actor/actress as 'main' and 'supporting'. They do this so that fans of the movie won't split their votes and kill both nominations. Not impossible but probably rare.
And I don't know if Mira Sorvino proves my point or not. Her looks are probably still good but her career isn't. My guess is that it's much much much harder to make a career of it as an actress in Hollywood than it is as an actor.