Monday, March 05, 2007

The Departed - 2006

So what happens when you take a movie about the Boston mob, spice it up with a rat in both the polcie department and the mob, mix in a star-studded cast and have the entire thing directed by one of the greatest living directors? Well, you get a Best Picture winner. And, man, I wished I'd have liked it better.
The story is simple but involved. The Boston police have got an undercover informant in the mob. At the same time, the mob has someone inside the police force. If either of them are discovered it'll probably mean death or prison. They play a game of cat and mouse (or mouse and mouse) and you never know what will happen next. A clever plot.
So why didn't I like it? It was so over the top profane and violent that none of the characters felt real. It was like two and a half hours of watching cartoons shoot each other. Foul mouthed cartoons. (And without the wit of South Park.) The story really wasn't that good either. The plot wandered all over the place. There was an unbelivable love triangle. And (huge pet peeve of mine) the climax is far distant from the credits.
Maybe I just wasn't in the right place to enjoy this. Or maybe it was much better on the big screen. But this was a good movie at best. When the all time best Scorsese movies list is created, this one won't be near the top.

1 comment:

carrster said...

I *liked* this movie but didn't love it. I too thought the violence & profanity were over the top (particularly as you said "cartoon"-y ending! COME ON!!). I loved some of the performances and enjoyed the directing of certain scenes (ie: noir-ish foot chase after adult theater)...but I too wished I would've liked it *more*.