Monday, March 12, 2007

Random Monday night thoughts

  • Remember all that snow? It's almost all gone. We're just about back to where we were before the two big storms. Today felt nearly tropical. Was able to skip the coat and just wear a flannel to work.
  • Daylight savings time? Not a big fan. At least not for this turn of the screw. It's much better in the fall. One way to make it better? Let's move the change to Friday night/Saturday morning. That will give weekday working folks another day to get used to the change.
  • Just finished a book called 'Beyond the Deep'. It's about the search for the deepest cave in the world, in this case looking for the deepest part of a Mexican cave system in Huautla. The cave system is longer than 35 miles and the authors had to do quite a bit of cave diving. Not really that great a book. Kind of poorly written. The gold standard in adventure writing is still 'Into Thin Air'.
  • So why did I read it? If the FP Gal and I ever hit the Powerball, I've already picked out my eccentricity. Spelunking. I find caves fascinating. The idea of finding some unknown chamber deep beneath the ground is a little bit thrilling. Just standing there in complete and utter darkness. That calm and cool air just settling over everything. Calms me just to think about it.
  • I think about caves most years about this time. My dream March trip? Down to Tucson to see some spring training. Over to Kitt's Peak for a star-party. And then drive over to Carlsbad and spend a few days touring the place. And that glorious desert warmth.
  • That's it!

No comments: