Wednesday, September 05, 2007

2007 Football season

Since tomorrow is the season kickoff, I just wanted to get some thoughts down so I could laugh at them in five months or so.
  • I want to be encouraged by the Vikings preseason, I really do. The second biggest question mark, Tavaris Jackson, looks serviceable. The receivers might be good enough for an average passing game. The defense should be good against both the pass and the run. What holds me back? The playcalling. Until Childress shows that he's willing to try and convert on third down, I don't trust them. I'll predict another 6-10 season.
  • Who wins the division? I don't trust the Bears because of Grossman. He looked fine early in the season but then nosedived late in the year. He'll keep the opposition in too many games. I also think their defense and (especially) their special teams will decline.
  • The NFC North winner? I hate to say it, but if I had to put money on it, I'd go with the Packers. Their defense should be good. They have the fourth easiest schedule in the league. If they get their running game going, they'll win a lot of games.
  • Boldest prediction? The Patriots are widely seen as the top team this year, especially since they've made so many moves to improve their passing game. I don't buy it. Every few years in sports, some team comes into the season looking unstoppable. Remember the Lakers a few years back when they added a couple of Hall of Famers? Didn't get them a ring. Something will happen to derail them. Injuries or something else will disrupt them. I see them as a wildcard team.
  • Division winners? Put me down for the Jets, Jaguars, Bengals and Chargers in the AFC. In the NFC I'll go with the Redskins, Saints, Packers and 49ers.

No comments: