Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Fiddler on the Roof - 1971

This is the story of a Tevye, a Russian jew who has been blessed with five daughters. He lives in the small town of Anatevka where he works as the village milkman. His oldest daughters are coming up on marrying age. Each one brings a new crisis as they force him to choose between love and tradition. (Seriously, you probably know the story and if you haven't seen this movie, you should.)
It's hard for me to picture anyone but Topol playing the role of Tevye but apparently he was a controversial choice. The original Broadway run (1964) starred Zero Mostel, of 'The Producers' fame. Wish I could see that.
Some wonderful songs from this musical. The FP Gal's favorite is 'Tevye's Dream' with 'Matchmaker' a close second. Both are very good. I'd probably lean towards 'Far from the Home I Love' but there are six or eight good ones.
A great movie. It's a shame that we don't get musicals like this anymore.

3 comments:

Meigan said...

Don't forget "Miracles of Miracles" - I think it's one of the sweetest love songs ever.

Hey - were you in the play with me when they ran it at the college? I can't remember. I was a "village chorus girl" I guess.

Peder said...

I was one of the village boys. I remember doing the bottle dance. I think I was the only one that dropped the bottle during a performance. Oh well.

DD4 said...

Funny you should write about this film now. . . I just watched it Monday, since I had just been to my cousin's "part Jewish" wedding the end of August. I love ALL of it!