Monday, November 05, 2007

Alaska and the 70 lb requirement

Got a call today from a client who needed to fly from Kenai to Skagway. This was part of his regular territory so he knew the schedules and the airlines. Alaskan Airlines is the dominant carrier of the area but they don't always fit the times that are needed. When that happens we go to lesser known carriers. In this case we went with L.A.B Flying Service and Wings of Alaska.
The smaller airlines don't work well with our booking systems so we often have to call them. I didn't have 'Wings' phone number so I had google around for their website. While there I found a link to 'Employment Opportunities'. (Don't worry, I doubt I'll ever convince the FP Gal to move to Alaska. It never hurts to look around though, right?) Under customer service I found the usual requirements: experience, able to use a computer, reservations and...able to lift 70 lbs.
Needless to say, we don't do a lot of heavy lifting at work. I can't imagine what the ladies in customer service would say if this was added in. Probably nothing polite.
When I called, I had to ask what that was all about. The nice lady reservationist didn't seem taken aback when I asked her about it. I'm guessing I'm not the first person who has wondered what's going on. Turns out that that a lot of their baggage is freight and 70 lbs is pretty typical.
Man, we're soft down here in the lower 48.

No comments: