Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Novel news

I don't have the little bug working on the blog yet, so I'll just tell you that the novel is going fine. After six days you should be at 10,000 words and I'm only a couple hundred short of that. This year isn't going quite as smoothly as last. I'm still getting to know the characters and that takes more time. Don't worry, I won't fill the blog with updates on this all month. Here's the beginning (which is certain to be rewritten once I know the people better).

“So, what do you think?”

The servants had all cleared the room. There was no more evidence of the fine meal they had enjoyed. The cards and chips were packed away, too. The card game was finished and a new winner had been crowned. All that remained of the earlier festivities was the cloud of smoke from the lone smoker. From out of this he had brought forth his idea for a different kind of contest.

The other six looked at each other, no one sure that they really wanted to commit. This would mean an incredible amount of time and they were all busy people. It would also be no small amount of money.

Still…there was an upside as well. All seven of them were intensely competitive. Their annual card game had been it’s usual cut-throat affair. It was Rex’s turn to host and he had outdone himself. The food and the service had been top notch. His lavish yacht had been the perfect setting. Here they had privacy. More importantly, they were able to get away from the desperate people. The suck-ups and beggars. After the card game, six of them would poorer but it would be money that they risked and lost fair and square.

After the game, came this new proposal. It was large and grand and tickled the vanities of several of them. It would mean a lasting legacy for each and every one of them. Still…

“Maybe you could go through the details one more time,” drawled Rex. “I’m not sure I understand exactly what it is that you’re proposing. Some kind of ‘art’ thing?”

“It could be. Look, I’ve had rules drawn up and everything but let me run through the gist of this thing again.” A pause and he made certain everyone was watching him. They were of course.

“It’s a simple game. Each of us will build a Wonder of the World.”

2 comments:

Meigan said...

Juicy! I love it!

carrster said...

Oooh I'm intrigued!