Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Stranded on the Road

Here are some accounts from people who were stranded on Chicago's Lake Shore Drive last night. They talked to one woman who was stranded from 4p until 4a. Which is beyond crazy. There were policemen on snowmobiles taking drivers to warming stations. Cars couldn't be unburied and towed out until this morning. Just a huge mess.
I make it a point to always have my cell phone with me in the car in part because of fear of situations like this. It didn't seem to have helped these folks though. And I can't help but think of what I would have done if I'd had the kids with me. Just muddled through, I guess. (I'm picturing DF zipped up against me in my jacket while I hold Relia on the back of a snowmobile.)
This has been such a crazy winter both for damage and poor handling of conditions. Which isn't meant as a complaint about Minneapolis snow people. They've about as good a job as they can with snow emergencies and parking problems. But New York City had streets that went unplowed for days and Chicago has car stranded overnight on their main drag.
This has not been a gentle winter.

No comments: