Sunday, September 21, 2008

Crazy presents


One of the traditions surrounding my Grandma had to do with crazy Christmas presents. Each year my brother and I would pick out the worst possible gift for her. It was either unfathomably ugly, age inappropriate or something having to do with snakes. Some of my favorites were:
  • A pinata filled with candy and a toy hockey stick to break it open with.
  • A remote controlled snake.
  • Boxing gloves.
  • A chainsaw.
  • A Hello-Kitty toaster that makes toast with the Hello-Kitty imprint.
  • A giant stuffed shark.
All year long when I'd walk past the clearance section at Target, I'd think, "Hey, that Tiffany styled rooster would be a great gift for Grandma. Seriously, who did they think would buy something that ugly?". She loved the whole thing. We'd wait until all of the other gifts were exchanged and then this last gift would suddenly appear, almost always still in the bag from the store we bought it at.
I think that's when it will really sink in for me. On December 24th, when it's time to make that last minute buy, it'll somehow feel a little empty. There will be a definite something missing. That'll be you, Gram.
We love you.

5 comments:

MamaD4 said...

Do you remember what you boys bought her at Target the year we had our accident and if it made it out of the wreckage?

Meigan said...

Oh Peder, I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma.

What a sweet memory you have of her!

Peder said...

Rach, there were two gifts in the car. One was goofy hat and the other was a talking hobby horse. I think we also had some baby stuff in there even though no one was in a family way.

MamaD4 said...

Yes, now that you say that, I have a vague recollection. I think they did make it out.

Hans said...

"I'm a little pony. Clippity-clop! Clippity-clop!" That's what the hobby horse said.

The first one we got her was a big - like 9 inches tall - ceramic dinosaur coming out of the egg. Not sure who the target market for that was.