Monday, September 15, 2008

Service

The last few days at work have been strange for us. One of our network offices is located in Houston. They shut down on Thursday and we've been helping to cover their calls ever since. That means that we've been talking to clients that our new to us with all of their strange policies and preferences. Not only does that involve very quick researching, it also means that we things that are outside of the usual for us.
For instance, I've been able to book new reservations for people again. Most of the time I fix existing reservations or help people work their way through our online booking tool. But with calls coming in from everywhere I'm getting to book new stuff. And I'm loving it!
Today I got a call from a guy who had a meeting in Berlin and then Freiberg. He didn't really know what flights he needed or what the easiest way to get from point B to C was. We looked at flights and times. We compared driving distances from Munich and Frankfurt. I even had to help find a different hotel in Berlin when it turned out that the preferred one was sold out. Loved it!
There is a feeling of accomplishment that you get from helping someone by using your special skills and experience. Much of my job has started to feel like technical help/whipping boy. This has been a refreshing change. And yes, I intend to talk to my manager about some of this.

1 comment:

MamaD4 said...

Wow. I can weigh in on this. It is a loooooong drive from Munich to Freiberg. It is a long drive from Stuttgart, actually. I have been to Freiberg.

That's if we're talking about the same place, because there's a Freiberg, a Frieberg, a Freiburg...etc, etc. It's a bit confusing.