Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Postseason

It's not easy to explain to people why a pitcher's duel can be more exciting than a slugfest. This game was exhibit A. Griffey's throw to the plate would have been lost in a 10-6 game. Thome's homerun would have been impressive in any game though.
Nick Blackburn was very good tonight and deserves congratulations even with the loss. Losing a 1-0 game isn't shameful. I hope Twins fans don't take it too hard. Both teams were very even, both good but not great. Both with very strong strengths and very obvious weaknesses.
Who do I like in the postseason? This is the order I'll root for teams, not necessarily how I think they'll do.

1. White Sox - of course. I'm not at all confident in their chances. They've got three things going for them: strong starting pitchers, power throughout the lineup and a strong closer. Weak defense, slow team speed and big holes in the bullpen will be tough to overcome.
2. Tampa Rays - The big cinderella story of the year and it would be a great, great story if they win the World Series.
3. Brewers - Another long suffering fan base. I hope their first playoff run lasts longer than three games.
4. Phillies - This is a city that could desperately use a championship.
5. Angels - As long as they don't use those stupid thundersticks. Seriously, I'm fine with the rally monkey, just don't give the fans noisemakers.
6. Dodgers - Joe Torre is fine. Manny Ramierez needs to go away.
7. Red Sox - How much more insufferable will Boston fans be with another championship parade?
99. Cubs - Just shoot me.

1 comment:

Alfred T. Mahan said...

I have the very slight consolation of knowing that Joe Mauer is pretty much a lock for his second AL batting title.