Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Children Book Anachronisms

Tonight I read a short book to Relia before she went up to bed and something struck me. Many of the things that are commonplace in the kid's books that I grew up with are nearing the fossil stage.
Think about how much phones have changed in the last 30 years. We're almost a cell only household at this point. A 'wired' phone is more of a rarity. And a rotary phone is roughly as current as an 8-track.
Speaking of which, record playing is hard to do. When I was young I had a record library of some 30 albums or so, all children's music. She'll have CD's.
Newspapers? Will there be delivery newspapers five years from now? I wouldn't bet on any that she'd see on any kind of regular basis. (Will the next generation of children's books use blogs?)
The FP Gal has noted that Relia already lives in a world where we can pause TV and fast forward through commercials. She'll always have the internet and all of its wonders.

When I was younger I wondered about how much had changed in my great Grandma's lifetime. She went from horse and buggy to men on the moon. In my 30+ years I've seen the rise of the personal computer, the internet and the cell revolution. What kind of changes will Relia see in hers?

1 comment:

Pat said...

I often think where the world is going and where it will be in the future. Lots of food for thought.