Sunday, June 27, 2010

DIY Castle

I've told the FP Gal that she needs to keep an eye on me or I'll do something like this. I think that my favorite is the fourth one, the cathedral of Justo Gallego Martinez. And all of them make my mere six story tower dream seem pale.
Two difficulties for my future plans. These 14 mainly fall into two categories. Either 1) they were built in the country where there is lots of space or 2) they were the result of death bed promises by Catholics. Neither one works for me. Yet. (As a side note, apparently Spain is unable to stop building construction that was promised on a death bed.)
Take a look through the list again. There is a certain beauty to some of the buildings. A grandeur sometimes. Each one certainly speaks to something in the human soul and the desire to create something everlasting. Were the builders crazy? Sometimes, maybe, but they also had a certain poetry that I think we should admire.

1 comment:

Kate said...

I'd help you if you did it.