Monday, June 21, 2010

Kindle Revisited

Amazon dropped the price on the Kindle today to $189. Which puts it into the 'hmmmmmm' category. Last summer I blogged about my growing (and surprising) interest in getting an e-reader. At the time I had three main concerns:
  • I want some kind standardized format. I want to be able to buy books from several different sources, not just one seller. This should make for more widespread value
  • They need to hammer out ownership issues, much like the music industry is going through. Books, of course, are different than songs but many of the piracy issues are the same.
  • The price needs to come down. History suggest that it will happen in time.
Apparently they've fixed point number 2. And point number 3 is now less of an issue. That first point is still kind of a problem though.
To be clear, I'd still get paper copies of some books. I'm happy with my complete Hugo collection. And eventually, with the help of used book stores, I'll have the complete Bookers. I love shopping actual shelves too much to give that up. But I'm starting to see a place for a different book strategy.
Even a few years ago my book buying habits were almost exclusively for old books. My reading tended towards reading and rereading. Now I'm more interested in the newer stuff. And new books (especially hardcovers) are pricey. An e-reader will cut down on the money.
As I said: hmmmmmm . . .

4 comments:

MamaD4 said...

I'm married to someone (you might know him) who buys books all the time too...he won't go to the library. Thus, he gets a new book, doesn't like it, we've spent the money and he insists on keeping said book even though he probably won't ever read it again. This is exactly why I use the library: they have nice, new books and they're FREE and if you don't like 'em, the library will take them back.

Sorry, just a bone of contention between Hans and myself. He did check a book out from the library this year--I was so proud.

Do you use the library?

MamaD4 said...

BTW, I think Kindle is neat--Jodi had one when she was here and the idea of being able to travel without a pile of books and download stuff in an instant in pretty darn cool!

Peder said...

Rachel, it might be a family thing. I don't use the library very much. It always makes me feel like I'm on a deadline and I can't relax.

Jodi (if you're out there), are you still digging your Kindle?

Alfred T. Mahan said...

Whichever e-book reader you purchase, you're keeping me employed! Go ahead, buy either one! It doesn't matter!

(Insert megalomaniacal laughter here)

Post-script: I'm enjoying Julian Comstock a great deal, although several themes and discussions remind me of Theodore Judson's Fitzpatrick's War.